(I am afraid I have never actually used stock Android, thus it gets no mention here.)
I installed Mezzanine for the first time a very few years ago for this site: Ubuntu==14.04, Django==1.6.11, Mezzanine==3.0.9
For quite some time now, I have almost completely avoided the time sink of random Internet surfing. Every now and then I do a little bit triggered by a link recommendation from a friend, but it is a fairly rare event.
I believe it has been probably ten years, perhaps even longer, since the first time I set up my e-mail client for encryption. And then waited, eagerly, for someone else to join the club so I could play with it. Ten long years I have waited, and finally I have some play-mates!
One of several compelling cases for hard disk encryption: laptop loss or theft.
A few months ago I purchased a copy of Win7 on-line. It showed up in pristine condition, still shrink-wrapped and full of a very authentic looking collection of DVDs and documents. I installed it in a virtual machine, registered, and everything has been working fine for months. Until today, when Windows Update informs me that for some reason my registration key has been "blocked". Apparently (I am guessing) there is something about running on a virtual machine (in China!) that their license server is having indigestion over. So now I cannot update the thing, which was the point of getting a legal copy with license in the first place.
For starters, it is not very hard because there tends to be a lot of documentation out there on the subject. Here for instance is a rock-solid, step-by-step recipe for setup on a Debian Linux machine. Figure it out once, keep good notes, and you are good for a lifetime.
feel sadly vindicated for never having accepted my Android phone as a secure computing device. This post written by a Tor developer, provides a long list of problems, some of which are really not easy to patch, some of which are just egregious, for example: